RAM Mystery?!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jinhoeric, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jinhoeric macrumors newbie

Specs:
    Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    Mac OS X Version 10.7.2

Hi There, I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure if this post will get read or something due to the level or ranking I'm in or w/e.

Anywho, I have had several Virtual Machines before on VMWare, and then after my 3rd drive got all corrupt and jacked, I told myself I was sick of it, and move onto bootcamp. Now, after bootcamp, I was a bit sick of having to reboot everytime and decided to move back to the VMs.

I came back and made another Virtual Machine... To notice, that it was exttreeemmellly slow. I switched to the Mac, and opened the "Activity Monitor" to see at the "System Memory" tab that I had 12 MB of RAM free.

Outrageous.

My Wired RAM is somehow 1.93, Active is 1.06, and Inavtive is 1.09, when I only have my VMWare and Chrome open!

I deposited 1 GB of RAM to the Virtual Machine, so I'm guessing that the wired RAM is from the previous Virtual Machines. I deleted those virtual machines though from the VMWare Library!

I also noticed that quitting all the VMWare Proccesses, still leave me with the same amount of RAM. This has been extremely bothering me. In the process list, it shows that VMWare is only taking 43.1 MB of RAM.

Does anyone have a solution to free up some RAM, or like really delete the previous machines? Because it seems like I deleted the previous machines, but the settings and stuff are still wired into my RAM.

Thx.
    -Eric-

2. simsaladimbamba

3. jinhoeric thread starter macrumors newbie

Restarting helps, but after I open VMWare, the ram just overfills, for no reason at all. I need to free up RAM so I can add more to the VM.

4. simsaladimbamba

You do not have that much RAM to begin with, thus my two links. The first one explains how RAM is being used and reported, the second one helps you adding more RAM. Have you even tried allocating more RAM to the VM, for which the VM has to be shut down?

5. jinhoeric thread starter macrumors newbie

My question is, why the heck is one VMWare which I deposited 1 GB of RAM to taking up 3 GBs?? :(

6. simsaladimbamba

I could not see that question in any of your previous posts in THIS thread.

Pay attention to the section about sorting for RAM and maybe make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?