RAM not recognized - help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ramallite, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ramallite macrumors regular

Hi all - I'm trying to help out a friend here - he has a stock Early 2008 Mac Pro (Dual Quad-Core Xeon, 2.8 GHz) with stock 2GB RAM (1+1 GB). We just installed an additional 8 GB (4+4) from Newegg.com, and the problem is that the Mac Pro system profiler now recognizes only the new RAM but not the old RAM; System Profiler states that the Mac has 8 GB (it's supposed to state 10 GB). We used a chart from Apple's website to make sure the sticks are installed properly in the right slots. Any ideas about why the Mac isn't recognizing the original two sticks anymore? I appreciate it - thanks !

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

re-seat the RAM, that usually fixes the issue.

I just had to do that the other day; 12GB installed only showed up as 6 after a hard shudown. I re-seated it and now it's all there.

check the lights on the riser cards, the red lights tell you which DIMMs are affected

3. skiffx macrumors 6502a

4. strausd macrumors 68030

A lot of companies who sell 4GB and 8GB RAM modules for the Mac Pro state that all RAM should be of the exact same matching pair, as in only 4 GB modules from the same people, or only 8GB modules from the same people. So basically what they are saying is not to mix those modules with the lower modules.

5. ramallite thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah - he was actually worried that this might be a problem before ordering the RAM, but I told him not to worry about it :eek: Either way, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks - will try that as well in the morning.

I'm sure that's in the cards as well at some point down the road as Aperture use cranks up :)