RAM on rMBP 13" late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewdroid, Jan 7, 2015.

1. andrewdroid macrumors newbie

hi all
    I just found out that the RAM on my rMBP 13' i5 2.4ghz late 2013 is faulty (memtest within 4 mins of running) Had a couple of BSOD's when in bootcamp.
    Ive had it less than a year!
    I go looking for RAM to replace it and maybe upgrade to 16gb and I read on some forums that the RAM is soldered into the MBP is this really true? If so WTF what a ****** thing to do. I know I can upgrade the SSD so why not the RAM?
    what do you do in these circumstances?
    A

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... RAM is soldered in on the Retina model. If it is less than a year old, it should still be under warranty, so take it to Apple and have them repair it for you.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

While the SSD in the late-2013 rMBP can be changed, it uses a proprietary format that is not being produced by any third-party companies. In order to upgrade, you would need to either order the part from Apple or obtain a second-hand one on eBay.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You should've done some research before buying, the RAM's been soldered on the retina's from the very beginning(2012). It's not a ****** thing to do as you say. It was done to save space and allow the computer to be thinner. Apple's been going for light and thin for years now.

And you can't upgrade your SSD, the late 2013 and mid 2014 use a proprietary PCI-e connector, not mSATA and nobody makes an upgrade SSD.

5. andrewdroid thread starter macrumors newbie

well I didn't buy it thankfully I'm a student with ADHD and the uni gave it to me (who wouldn't accept a free laptop) but in the future I wont be buying any mores mac's
    Reasons
    the list of software that isnt mac platform is huge
    proprietary software
    proprietary hardware and non changable
    not enough USB ports
    redundant thunderbolt ports (unless you're a millionaire £1,149 for 2tb External Thunderbolt Storage)
    and lastly and very importantly no Kensington lock slot so easily stealable

6. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

If that is your approach to the Mac platform The Mac isn't for you. If the lack of software (which there isn't) bothers you, you do know you can install Windows on it don't you?

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Absolute tosh

Software on a mac is great and cheap, I have yet to find a situation outside studying (specific chemistry software) where I didn't prefer the mac equivalent software. Also you can bootcamp windows if you like....

The hardware is the same as everybody elses, thin light windows laptops have soldered RAM as well, pcie storage will become the norm as time goes on, it's so fast. Other than that they are built using the same parts made by the same people, and usually the best of those parts as well.

Well if you use thunderbolt for screens etc the 2 USB is more than enough in todays wireless connected mice and keyboard, cloud starage and personal NAS units, world, hell you can even wirelessly connect to most TV's these days.

A lacie 2TB thunderbolt HD is £170. Is it more than usb 3 yes, is it faster yes, is it a thousand pound no again you exaggerate outrageously.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lacie-Rugge...420708008&sr=8-6&keywords=thunderbolt+storage

Really?? I can't remember the last time I saw anyone lock up their laptop, kensington locks were very popular 5 years ago haven't seen one in 3 years myself... people can't be bothered with it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like the Mac platform isn't for you, though I will correct you on one thing. The software is no more proprietary then Windows or Linux software. That is, you have to be sure the software you need is on the platform you run. There are many great apps for OS X (not just in the Mac app store)

As for the Kensington lock slot, those are useless. A quick tug by a thief will be able to pull a laptop free.

9. andrewdroid, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

andrewdroid thread starter macrumors newbie

"As for the Kensington lock slot, those are useless. A quick tug by a thief will be able to pull a laptop free."

I do have win7 on bootcamp and have found that I hardly ever boot into mac now. I wanted to upgrade the SSD to 512gb so as to have a linux distro on there as well but as there ain't much space..... as a student I cant afford Macs inflated hardware rates.
    If the Kensington lock slot goes into the frame of the laptop then it would take a pretty determined thief to steal it if none then it can go any time
    If I was going to spend the equivalent cash on a laptop I'd buy a Lenovo and probably save some and get much the same specs, many people ask me advice on new machines and used to recommend Macs but no more.
    Very disappointed with their product I really expected more from all the hype I'd read. Sad but true :(

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Fair enough

You don't like them thats fair, everyone I have reccomended them to loves them and wouldn't go back. Definitely buy what you like, as yours was free though I would stop moaning and make the best of it...

11. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I definitely see what you mean, it feels odd to buy a 1500 euro computer and not being able to upgrade it down the road. But over time I've started looking at it differently.

The Mac, at least to me, always stood for stability and amazing build quality. Macs really aren't that much more expensive than pc's with similar parts (in some cases they are even cheaper than other manufacturers) but you get so much more in return. A worry-free operating system, cheaper software, the aforementioned build quality and reliability.

Not being able to fiddle around with the internals has its drawbacks, but definitely a few great advantages. It increases the reliability, stability and build quality of the computer and ultimately that is more important to me than being able to upgrade down the road.

Just try to enjoy your computer for its performance and reliability instead of worrying about it.

12. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Do you have any data to back this up? Not trying to be antagonistic. I'm genuinely curious.

13. andrewdroid thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac's are at least twice as expensive as other PC's (PC = personal computer includes mac) certainly their laptops are.

"Much more in return" are you joking? software thats damn expensive or isnt there at all. Final Cut Pro is a ****ing joke program thats why I use the Windows side so much.

They are unreliable, my mac's just broken down 10 months after I got it that has never happened to any of my 20 or so windows or Linux machines I have got at least 4 years out of them before any hardware failed and some were running 24/7. The mac side was freezing or crashing from the word go I've had at least 10 of those in OSX and only use it about 10% of the time as opposed to 4 blue screens in Windows.

AND I cant repair it myself meaning I'm going to be without it for at least 10 days. Then I'm going to have to spend at least 8 hours restoring everything to the original state because they said they would replace it not just change the RAM.