RAM & Online Video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrApple33, Jul 7, 2012.

1. MrApple33 macrumors newbie

So.... I sm new to the Mac world. Yes new. Have had several apple products, but this is my first Mac. I do not know how I have not had one all these years!:confused:

So I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro 15 not I just took out of it's package on Wednesday.

It has 4 gigs or Ram, and Apple is saying I can updrade to 8. Can I not go to 16 on this setup? Also, is the ram that people are selling on eBay any different then what I can buy at apple and will installing the ram myself void any warranties?

2nd issue, while trying to watch online videos, I get a "video not available" error a lot, or my MacBook wants to download the video before watching and the video is in a format not recognized to play.

Sorry for the LONG message and if it is in the wrong area. I am new hre as well!

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

The 2012 MacBook Pro's can utilize up to 16GB of RAM and if you replace it yourself, it does not void the warranty. The best place to buy reliable RAM is from Crucial.com (they also sell SSD's and their M4 SSD's are super cheap on Amazon, but that's besides the point) and its also one of the cheapest places to buy it. You will not void the warranty by replacing either the hard drive, either. Hope this helps!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

4. MrApple33 thread starter macrumors newbie

When checking the info screen it does state that it is a late 2011 model. So would this mean I can only upgrade to 8?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the information I posted, including the link to EveryMac.com? It supports 16GB, as stated there.

6. MrApple33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sorry. I think I was posting that as you were porting yours. That was a question to the post above but I did see where what you posted says 16. I appreciate the info. Makes me feel a lot better.:D:apple:

Now I am going to check out where you guys referenced to purchase it. 200 for 8gb at apple just sounds rediculous to me. Their argument was even that they just dropped it from 400! :eek::apple:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, never buy additional RAM from Apple, unless it's non-removable RAM. Their RAM prices have always been ridiculous.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

I've always bought my RAM from Crucial.com and it's always been cheap, reliable, and their customer service is excellent.

9. MrApple33 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a