RAM options

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by caymandrew, Jul 29, 2012.

1. caymandrew macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about upgrading my ram from 16 to 32. Searching ebay there's huge price differences. Both have lifetime warranties, so what's the difference to justify more than double the price??? Or is there any at all?

32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz for $719

or

32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz for $299

:confused:

2. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Personally, I'd go with macsales.com instead of ebay. But That's just me.

3. caymandrew thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but I don't think you understood my question. Is the RAM of the same specs better at OWC? If yes, how? And as for my original question, what makes the two sets I ram I posted any different beside the brand and price?

Thanks.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

5. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

The cheaper eBay one shows attached heatsinks. pluses and minuses - better heat dissipation but maybe worse air flow.

None of them talk about CAS latency figures.

MacSales has "Apple Specified Thermal Sensor" while eBay ones don't mention. May be BS but don't know,

All say lifetime warranty. OWC says "advanced replacement"

6. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

Kingston makes some respected name brand 8 GB sticks (75.00 each) just for the Pro with temp sensor ECC, etc. at good prices through Newegg (EZ return if rqd). Installed a matched 12 GB triple channel set for a 5.1 in a 4.1 without a hitch for less than a hundred bucks. Runs at 1066 i/o 1333, but that is normal since RAM speed is controlled by the type of CPU installed in the Pro.