RAM or CPU more important for video/photos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by backinblack875, Feb 27, 2012.

1. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

ill be getting a new mac soon, i plan on a MBP. The heaviest stuff i do is editing my pictures from my SLR thru aperture and i don't yet, but i WILL be editing some videos through final cut pro X. i also play the occasional game, but nothing the intel HD 3000 can't handle.

i will get the 13in (with TB display) and either 13in model i get i will get 8GB of RAM for aperture, but would about final cut pro?? should i go for the i7 in the 13in? and would the quad core i7 in the 15in base model be worth it?

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It depends on your workload, but for most people, the benefits go

RAM, SSD, CPU

In order of priority to get better performance.

A lot more RAM than your workload requires will not speed things up. However not enough RAM will have way more of an impact on performance than dropping a few grades of CPU or lacking an SSD.

I"d recommend a minimum of 8gb of RAM (if you buy from OWC, it is ridiculously cheap), if you find that your page-outs are fairly high, upgrade to 16gb.

Now...

If you have sufficient RAM, more CPU will help, but it is a question of how much you want to spend, and whether you want a 15" machine to carry.

For your specific usage, assuming both machines have sufficient RAM, the 15" is a lot faster for video encoding, as video encoding takes advantage of multiple cores. I reckon you're likely to see a 1.5x performance increase or more in encoding speed, by going to a quad core 15" machine. Going from i5 to i7 in the 13", not so much....

3. roofz macrumors regular

It's more CPU intensive.

I think the base would be fine, but if you really want a fast machine go for the i7.

4. backinblack875, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

that was another thing i was concerned about. wasn't sure how heavily it relies on the video card.

whats "heavy" though. Ill be editing stuff from an HD helmet cam, and possibly HD from an SLR. (most likely not though)

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Sometimes it also matters how the software is coded to hand off the heavy processing, some hand off to the GPU if it does a better job, as generally GPU's have faster VRAM than the system RAM.

6. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

also antiglare or glossy??

whats the difference? just that one has more reflection?? (in which case who wouldn't choose antiglare??)

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

One has a AG coating on the screen and the outer protective glass is missing. It is a matter of preference. Some claim the colors are more muted and a lot less vibrant due to the coating, and some claim they are truer due to less ambient involvement. Others claim the glass makes the screen better protected and more durable for cleaning and resisting marks. There is also a claim in difference in viewing angle due to the coating as well. I am not a color purist, so I can't say for sure, I just know which I prefer.

8. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

so if its AG it has a frame like the MBA?? instead of the black edge?

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes it has the silver bezel (what the frame is called). I prefer the AG, but like the look of the black bezel better, so in my opinion I have an uglier MBP due to needing the AG (I say needing as i have keen eyesight and the reflections drive me batty, so I "need" the AG).

10. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

hmmm, guess ill have to check out how reflective it is to see if i could live with it. is it like the iPad if its glossy?? can see lights and stuff in the reflection even when on?

EDIT: also can you upgrade the late 2011 MBP?? (ram and HD) i only see early 2011 for installation vids (OWC)

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes, like the iPad. SOme people aren't bothered by it as much and others are nagged by it like I am. It also depends on viewing angle and the lighting in your work area. Like I say, it is purely opinion when it comes to this (unless you need color purity and can't get it with either AG or glossy).

12. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

i don't mind it only because i can move the iPad easily, not sure if i could so easily though with a MBP...

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes you can upgrade the RAM and HDD in the late 2011. All current MBPs can be upgraded at this time (the next gen we have yet to see for sure if maybe they will go the way of the air with little upgradability and at great task to do so).

14. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

so for the how to video issue (http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/) do they install the exact way as the early 2011??

thanks for all the help

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes and the directions are in the manual as well. It is simple plug and play for most people, although those less technically adept can find it daunting. Once they do it they see it is a piece of cake though.

16. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

oh really?? didn't think it was apple sanctioned :D and I'm not so bad, upgraded my early 2009 mini (a massive bitch to upgrade...def NOT apple sanctioned lol)

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Newer minis are user RAM upgradeable if I remember correctly, but not drive (I have a late 2009 and have upgraded both, but also upgraded my non-unibody MBP as well). Within the last few years the RAM and HDD have become user upgradeable parts and the directions are included within the users manuals for them. This means they can be upgraded by the end user without voiding the warranty, and these are the only user upgradeable parts (not even the battery is user upgradeable).

18. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

ya i knew newer ones were easier to upgrade, didn't think apple showed you how though because i figured they would want you to buy their RAM, makes sense though.