RAM or Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbyun04, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I'm thinking about upgrading one of the two.. either upgrade to 6GB ram or get the Momentus XT hard drive. My brother says I'll notice more of a boost by upgrading the hard drive so I was kind of leaning towards that.

Also, will there be any problems if I buy one 4GB OWC chip to use with a stock 2GB Apple chip that comes with my MBP?

Mid 2009 MacBook Pro
    2.8GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB Ram (2x2)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you need RAM? It doesn't speed up unless you use it (use RAM intensive apps or multitasking). Check Activity Monitor for RAM usage. HD is the biggest bottleneck so I would upgrade it

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

The RAM is only going to help if you need it. Open the activity monitor and check to see if you are doing lots of swapping.

If you already have a 7200RPM drive, moving to the XT isn't going to help all that much either.

4. jbyun04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

sorry i forgot to mention my uses:

CS4 - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Dreamweaver. Usually two are open at the same time
    if not cs4 then,
    Final Cut Studio

And iTunes + Adium + Mail + Chrome + Firefox will always be running in the backgound as well

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then RAM update would be better as those apps are RAM intensive. Faster HD/SSD only speeds up app launching but not actually the tasks you are doing

6. OWCMichael macrumors newbie

OWCMichael

The OWC memory you're looking for is:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566D6R3S4GB/

It is qualified and tested to work in 6GB configurations.

The other responders are absolutely correct. If choosing between additional RAM or a faster hard drive, check Activity Monitor to see if you're paging out your memory. If you do, then more memory will definitely help.

If not, then a faster hard drive would be the way to go.

For the ultimate in speed, you could go with a Solid State Drive:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce

7. jbyun04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbyun04