RAM or HDD Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwong2006, Nov 5, 2007.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I am thinking about either upgrading the RAM on my MBP to 4GB from the current 2GB, or upgrade the hard drive to 250GB. Which upgrade should I do, and if I do go with RAM upgrade, is OWC a good RAM dealer?

2. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I would watch Activity Monitor for a couple days, under normal operation, or even under high operation, when you are doing alot of stuff(stuff that you do normally though) and see how much of your memory you are using. 2Gb should be enough, but if you are using it I would go ahead and make the ram upgrade, but at the same time I have a 500Gb drive, and wish I more space more than I wish I had more ram(even when playing games i haven't ever noticed being low on ram) so I personally would go for the bigger hard drive.:apple:

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, OWC is very good...highly recommended my many folks here.

It's hard to say what the better upgrade would be, as it depends on where the bottleneck is for your system. Are you running out of hard drive space or do you expect to in the near future? If so, get the new hard drive. (What do you have in there now?) Or does your system feel sluggish? Then get the RAM. 2 GB is a good amount for a portable in this day and age, but if you use RAM-intensive apps, you could see a nice benefit by bumping it up.