Ram or proccesor?

FrenzyBanana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Is there a noticeable difference between 1.8 i5 and 2.0 17?

Can i run final cut pro smoothly?
What is more important? proccesor or ram?
Can i upgrade the ram later like in mbp?
My sister will use the mba on word proccessing, safari, networking, itunes, iphoto, and a 5 minutes videos in final cut pro once in two months. Do you think mba is ok?
Or should i go to 13 " pro?

Suggestions please

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
Less RAM would limit your more compared to slightly slower CPU. So better spend money for RAM; cause less memory swapping and will be finally faster (or snappier in case of Safari :rolleyes:)

FrenzyBanana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi all,

Thanks for reply.
My sister plays sims3 aswell? Can she run it on MBA smoothly?

notkodysmith

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Mba

But Ram is a much simpler and cheaper upgrade. the cpu you cant generally upgrade yourself. you would just have to be comfortable with breaking the sodering, because of it being a MBA

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Is there a noticeable difference between 1.8 i5 and 2.0 17?

Can i run final cut pro smoothly?
What is more important? proccesor or ram?
Can i upgrade the ram later like in mbp?
My sister will use the mba on word proccessing, safari, networking, itunes, iphoto, and a 5 minutes videos in final cut pro once in two months. Do you think mba is ok?
Or should i go to 13 " pro?

Suggestions please
Here's a good review that compares the two processors with various benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review

If you had to choose between RAM or processor, I'd go with RAM. Not only does the RAM affect your storage, but your available vRAM as well. The 4GB model make available 384MB of vRAM for the Intel HD4000, while the 8GB model makes available 512GB or vRAM. The vRAM should help with your little bit of work in FCP. It FLIES in iPhoto due to the SSD. Getting a standard HDD in a MBP would be a step down in performance in my opinion.

You really can't upgrade the RAM. It's a series of chips soldered onto the board.

But Ram is a much simpler and cheaper upgrade. the cpu you cant generally upgrade yourself. you would just have to be comfortable with breaking the sodering, because of it being a MBA
You ARE joking, right?

Last edited: