RAM or Processor speed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chris1184, Apr 26, 2011.

1. chris1184 macrumors regular

Hi guys..so I cannot wait for this iMac refresh. I will be picking one up for sure (haven't decided if it will be a 27inch monster or the 21). My question is this, if I will be using my Mac mostly for music production in Logic/Garageband/FL Studio/ etc. should i get something with a fast processor or memory? :confused: From what I read it's a little bit of both...can someone please help a noob out? thank you in advance!

2. archer75 macrumors 65816

You can always(and should) add ram aftermarket if you really do actually need it. Just monitor the activity monitor while you are using your apps and that will tell you if you need more.

3. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm i just ran it and for example when i simulated recording while i had my other tracks playing ...it said that i am using 107% in the CPU column for the row Garageband is in...i am on a regular Macbook which we got last year before the refresh. I guess I will definitely benefit from the screen size and faster processor speeds.

4. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

I'd argue processor speed and upgrade RAM with cheaper aftermarket stuff in a month or two once you've paid off the computer. You can't upgrade the processor later...I'm sure you can, but if you're asking this question, you probably don't know how.

5. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

well the most experience i have is switching out graphics cards but thats on a pc...have no idea what an imac looks like inside...anywho thank you! and you are right...i will go for a faster processor and just upgrade the RAM in a couple months!!! can't wait :)

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

really, you cant wait another week?

it takes one screw to install ram. my 6 year old daughter could do it.

7. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

8. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Exactly. LESS THAN ONE WEEK AWAY.

RAM IS that easy to replace.

9. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Do like the others say.

Buy a faster CPU - you can't upgrade the CPU later, but you can always add more ram later yourself :)

10. Diesel-Benz macrumors member

Actually you can.

11. whoda macrumors member

whoda

12. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Why exactly can't you wait for the refresh? I patiently waited 6 years for the lynnfield iMacs to come out when I was using my G5 iMac. I was putting it through 20 hour long encoding times to just encode 5minute long sd resolution x264 vids. So good! The upgrade was well worth it, the lynnfield iMac tore through the same workflow in only 12 minutes...

13. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean I am waiting for it, it just happens to be that i am a very impatient person...probably the most impatient person i know....and reason being is...my home pc is old as dust...and it sucks using a 13inch screen on the Macbook to try and record music and view multiple tracks ...also the Macbook stutters a lot when there is lots of things running while i record..anywho..i will get the new iMac with a decent processor and just upgrade the RAM as suggested