Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blitzraider, Jan 21, 2009.
I buying the 17 incher but I dunno which one to upgrade, or should I just get both?
With the Ram i guess u mean the 8GB in which case do you need all 8? 4 is more than enough for the average user. Plus its a lot of money.
And do you need the SSD? Or just go for the the 7200?
Wait on the RAM.
I went with 7200rpm and antiglare.
The ram is way to expensive and if even, for very high end users.
And if I recall right, SSD uses power full time.
Well I researched and found that ssd is slow for saving and only fast when reading. Is it really that useful then? I'm really new to ssd's
Oh, and I multitask a lot so I hope 8gb won't lag on me. I have 4gb on my destop and it lags.
Im guessing your desktop isnt brand new (correct me if im wrong) so it prob wont have the up to date ram like the MBPs.
What are you planning on using the MBP for anyways?
BTW im new to SSDs as well so dont no much about them.
How I Use My MBP
Well, it's my first MBP but I'm guessing it's more effiecient than my Windows desktop. So I'll be using the MBP for video editing, torrents (maybe), paralell pc and the like, gaming, photoshoppin for my scuba photos also. Actually the list is pretty endless, hehe.
I used my 2.8ghz 4GB ram MBP for heavy PS and illustrator and some video editing and it holds up just fine. If i were you i would just go for the 7200 320GB and spend the money on getting the best CPU you can. Thats only my opinion though.
No probs. Enjoy it when you get it
I would wait on both and save yourself some money!
Buy the processor, 7200RPM drive and buy the SSD and RAM a little later when they are way, way cheaper!
That's my plan when I order mine in a couple of weeks. I just want to make sure that I can access the drives and RAM like you can in the 15"s.
I read something on here saying that you can access it all still and doesnt void your warranty, just done touch the battery. So you should be all good to go
Definitely go with the SSD. $900 for a 256GB SSD is pretty average right now as far as I can tell. But $1,200 for an extra 4GB of RAM? No freaking way. I usually don't mind the Apple Tax at all, but charging twelve hundred bucks for something that costs $350 is a little extreme.
Hands down get the SSD, so much more improvement overall in speed.
You can't find 4GB sticks for $350, they cost exactly what apple wants for them. I'm assuming the price you gave is from looking at DDR2 200-pin 4GB sticks which are not compatible with the logic board. Here's the link on what it cost for what will work, you see there is no apple tax.
The base 17" model ships with 4GB of RAM. Meaning one 4GB module in one of two slots. Included in the base price. Now, to add one additional 4GB module, Steve wants $1,200. On the Crucial page you linked to, it shows that they want $780 for TWO 4GB modules. 780 ÷ 2 = 390, so that comes out to $390 per module. Now I don't know for sure if 4GB modules always come in pairs like that or if you can buy singles, but all I know is that Apple is charging a thousand bucks and some change for a module that costs them $400. Now, mind you, I'm merely pointing this out...not ranting...I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple!!!
Tip No. 1: Never buy RAM from Apple. Go to crucial.com and save about 75 percent. RAM is to Apple as soft drinks are to any restaurant. No, that 20-ounce drink doesn't cost them $1.50, and no, that 2GB of RAM doesn't really cost them $200. I can buy 3GB of RAM for $45 from Crucial.
As far as the SSD, I wouldn't yet. Those things are still too expensive for whatever benefit you get. Let the early adopters (remember the people who paid $600 for an iPhone?) pay the big bucks. Give the technology about 8 months and it should be more affordable.
I thought the RAM comes in 2 2gb modules. You should check the apple site because I am not really sure though.
This is untrue for the DDR3 ram. You can not find 8GB of DDR3 ram for under $1100.
Get SSD first and RAM later but for now, just wait for the price to go down a little.
The machine would be slow because of the bottleneck of the hard drive now, it's not the RAM. With SSD, launching an application maybe as fast as a second! I cannot wait to get one myself if the price is more reasonable than today's price.
Ordinarily, yes...but the new 17" MBP uses two 4GB sticks. That's what "2x4GB" means.
Get neither they are both a waste of money at this time. If you wait a year you can get both at a significantly lower cost. If you don't require the upgrades (And I do mean 'Require' not 'Want') then don't get them and wait.
So funny cause when I posted that link the ram upgrade did cost 11 hundred now its down to 800 so in fact there is an Apple tax now. By the way i'm pretty sure that the 17' comes with two 2GB sticks instead of one large 4GB, there is a substantial speed increase when using dual channel modules.