RAM or SSD upgrade more important in rMBP for uni??

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Im selling my 15" 2011 MBP and upgrading to a rMBP. it's probably way above my needs but I never know and gaming may become more important to me so why not!! But the nearly £400 SSD upgrade to double the storage on the base model is very high and I would like to upgrade the RAM to future proof etc. I have an 650GB extrenal hard drive that I can put films etc on. Think that the 256GB is sufficient enough for essential files etc and once extant SSDs become lower I can always get one of them??
Thanks

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Future proofing is folly. If you are going to pick one thing to "upgrade" now, go with the RAM. There is no way to add more RAM later on.
Okay thanks. Might just keep 8GB if I gt a MBA then that's all I could have but £100 extra for double RAM isn't bad haha

jefbond

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
I agree with the above posts. Definitely do RAM; it's a no-brainer. As for the SSD storage, that can be upgraded at a later time by a 3rd party. I recommend looking at OWC.com. They make models that will fit the rMBP for reasonable prices.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Okay thanks. Might just keep 8GB if I gt a MBA then that's all I could have but £100 extra for double RAM isn't bad haha
MBA is not for gaming, it could work but not for full graphics on WoW, guildwars, LoL etc, might lag you. Get 16 gb ram rMBP, ssd can be upgraded later and get 2.6 GhZ and thats it :) and get applecare, alot of times **** happens so careful.