RAM or SSD upgrade more important in rMBP for uni??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wwe2008, Aug 21, 2012.

1. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

Im selling my 15" 2011 MBP and upgrading to a rMBP. it's probably way above my needs but I never know and gaming may become more important to me so why not!! But the nearly £400 SSD upgrade to double the storage on the base model is very high and I would like to upgrade the RAM to future proof etc. I have an 650GB extrenal hard drive that I can put films etc on. Think that the 256GB is sufficient enough for essential files etc and once extant SSDs become lower I can always get one of them??
    Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Future proofing is folly. If you are going to pick one thing to "upgrade" now, go with the RAM. There is no way to add more RAM later on.

3. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks. Might just keep 8GB if I gt a MBA then that's all I could have but £100 extra for double RAM isn't bad haha

4. jefbond macrumors member

I agree with the above posts. Definitely do RAM; it's a no-brainer. As for the SSD storage, that can be upgraded at a later time by a 3rd party. I recommend looking at OWC.com. They make models that will fit the rMBP for reasonable prices.

5. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Also agree with the above. Go with 16 gb for the retina, hold off on the SSD and stick with 256 gb till later.

6. Bilalo macrumors 6502

MBA is not for gaming, it could work but not for full graphics on WoW, guildwars, LoL etc, might lag you. Get 16 gb ram rMBP, ssd can be upgraded later and get 2.6 GhZ and thats it :) and get applecare, alot of times **** happens so careful.