RAM placment

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by crazycat, Aug 4, 2007.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I just ordered another mac pro for my new office, i was thinking of putting 8GB or RAM. I am buying this mac from a mac reseller that provides on 1GB of RAM, should i install 8 1GB sticks or 4 2GB sticks?

If i do decide i was to install 4 2GB sticks do i need to place then in any order? (think top bay or bottom one)

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

2 in the top, 2 in the bottom

the inside of your mac pro case door have instructions.

3. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

If your NEW Mac Pro comes with 1GB (either 1 x 1GB or 2 x 512MB) of RAM already installed, then extra 7GB of RAM would be purchased separately? In any case, you still need to take a look at this chart and find 4 different scenarios you could install RAM for 8GB.

http://homepage.mac.com/tribe3/.Pictures/MemConfig.jpg

What he said is in case you decide to go with 4 x 2GB of RAM. Does that mean you can decide whether you have Mac Pro installed with 2GB of RAM to begin with? Still refer to the chart. You'll never get confused.

Cheers. :apple:

4. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Mac pro's can only have even numbers of ram sticks. 1x1GB is impossible.

5. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Well... He said "from Mac reseller," so I thought maybe. But no arguments there. Unfortunately, if he wants to add more RAM on top of 1GB of RAM (2 x 512MB) already installed, there's only one(1) scenario, which is the second configuration for 8GB in the chart.

Unless he can order altogether either 8 x 1GB or 4 x 2GB. Or 2 x 2GB + 4 x 1GB like they're shown in the chart.

Cheers. :apple: