RAM price puzzlement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iamvexed, Jul 28, 2008.

1. iamvexed macrumors member

Hi All,

I was just looking at buying some RAM to update my Powerbook (1.33ghz, 1.25GB RAM), and I noticed something that I find extremely puzzling.

At OWC, the cost of two 1GB memory sticks is the same price as it would cost to get 4GB for my iMac (2.66 ghz, 2GB RAM).

The page for the Powerbook memory:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/2700DDRS1GBA/

The page for the iMac memory:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/6400DDR2S4MP/

I don't understand why the Powerbook memory costs more (per GB) than the iMac memory. Could someone help me out on this? I'm not planning on upgrading the iMac for a couple of years, but if it will be cheaper to do it now, I'll do it now. Any advice or explanations would be much appreciated!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's not made anymore. RAM prices go "high--> low--> high" as DIMMs are introduced, put into mass production, and then phased out, respectively.

3. iamvexed thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for the response!

That's what I was worried about. So if I plan to update my iMac, it's probably best to do it now, right?

Thanks again!

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

DDR2 Isn't leaving in a hurry so not necessarily, but by all means, buy it, while your computer has the most life in it.

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Price

That OWC price is actually kinda good compared to last time I checked.

Currently same RAM at Staples is on sale but still cost $65 plus tax and maybe shipping. Normally at Staples it's around $100 for 1GB. OWC is always good for RAM and hard drives. If you have any problems they are quick to help out.

Time Travel back to the old days when 8 Megabytes cost more than $200 and your computer topped off at 64 Megabytes of RAM

Sad part is I have a PowerBook with a G3 400MHZ with 256 RAM running OS9 and the UI is just as fast as my MacBook dual 2.0 GHZ 2 GB RAM.
    And in 1999 a 20 GB Maxtor HD was $399 at CompUSA and we considered that huge and a good deal.

Email and the web run just as fast on an old Mac with OS9 as on a new one with 10.5

Strange