RAM Prices and APPLE

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, May 3, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have been wanting to upgrade my 1GB to 2GB in my imac. I noticed that crucial now has a 2GB kit for 101$ and 3GB is about 360$ MY question is why is Apples upgrades still 175$ for the 2GB and 750$ for the 3GB. Isnt all the RAM basically the same eventhough it may be a different brand.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Apple typically only changes RAM prices at revisions. If the market fluctuates they don't change the BTO option prices until the next time the update that machine. When the 24" iMac added 750GB drives, I think the 500 came down a little, but I could be wrong.

Edit. Funny you got the 2.33 but not the RAM, HDD, or VRAM upgrades to your 24".
    Most people suggest VRAM, HDD, RAM, CPU upgrades in that order, maybe RAM, then HDD. CPU is usually last on the list, b/c cost diff of 2.16 -> 2.33 doesn't seem worth it.

Of course I almost got a 24 and would have gotten a 2.33, but also 2GB, 500GB, 7600GT.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes but apple ram is always sooooooo overpriced, it s like buying aftermarket brake pads for your car...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Steve Jobs personally kisses each upgraded RAM stick before placing it in the Mac. That's why they can charge the premium.

Nah, not really. He doesn't actually kiss them. They're just trying to get more money from the unsuspecting customiser. They've been doing this for ages.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That's why I get my brake bads used. :D

Oh. Was that off-topic.

I bought a 1.66 refurb Mini in Oct to tide me over till lineup revisions, which, ahem, I expected in March/April, though I guess I can't fault Apple really Santa Rosa. Anyway, I popped it open and threw 2GB OWC RAM in there. Pretty easy. I would have gone 2GB from Apple b/c the 2GB upgrade on the Mini was about the same price, but going with a refurb didn't give me that option, and I got a 1.66 early 2006 Superdrive model for $649 and $100 printer rebate on my Canon PIXMA. Not a bad deal.