RAM Prices: Do they stop decreasing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. Monsieur, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

has anyone tracked how RAM prices fall? i'm looking at buying RAM from Crucial and i'm trying to figure out if the 1GB RAM for my iBook will come down any more (it's at just under $100 right now). from what i can tell, though, there's a limit as to how much they will drop (for example, 512MB for my iBook is around $50 right now, and is the middle of three levels (128MB, 512MB, and 1GB), whereas the RAM for the latest round of MacBooks has the following three levels: 512MB (about $25), 1GB (about $55) and 2GB (about $110). it seems from this that 1GB of RAM for my particular iBook won't drop below the price it's at right now...thoughts?

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I think RAM prices generally follow this path: they're expensive when brand new, then start to decrease as the supply increases because more machines utilize it, and then as the technology gets older and less computers utilize it, supply decreases, and so the price goes back up.

So.. I'd probably bet that the iBook RAM won't keep coming down, since the machines that use that RAM are becoming outdated..

Of course, I'm no expert, so don't take my word. Hopefully someone with a little more expertise (coughcanadaramcough) will pipe in.

3. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will be getting any cheaper. I have been looking for some of those same chips and it looks as to have bottomed out, in some cases getting more expensive.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As the others said, yes, 2GB+ modules will become cheaper over time. The 1GB modules in the most recent system designs too. I think 1GB iBook modules are not going down in price much. I just bought one, actually, here, for $75 shipped (Crucial, from Baby Duck Monge). I would either look for a trustable forum sale or settle for a lesser brand (I'm pretty sure you can get a 1GB module from Transcend for ~$77 shipped).

Also if you're looking for PC2100 ram for an iBook G4, you should know that PC2700 laptop memory modules are backwards compatible and cheaper (that's what I'm citing above). Just don't buy PC2700 desktop ram. :eek: