RAM problem or something else

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heisenberg123, Mar 16, 2012.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I have an Early 2011(see sig for details) came pre-installed with Lion, also came with a redemtion code to download Lion, so i used the code to re-download Lion to make myself a bootble lion installer USB.

Recently I have been getting random kernal panics and manditory restart warnings, so i thought i would do a clean install(not sure if it would help) but no harm in trying i had a full clone on an external.

Well atempt after attempt I would always get the same error on the Lion installer "Cant Download additional components to install Lion", tried internet recovery, tried redownling Lion from MAS again and again, went through about 24GB of bandwith to try and solve this issue but still the same error.

After much research it looks like its happens to more than just a few people must threads where had no real resolution, but 1 thread i found the person said he thought maybe his after marker RAM was defective so he put his original RAM back in and BAM the installer now was working with no errors.

So i did the same thing put my original RAM back in and low and beyhold the installer now did a clean install with NO errors.

Now was this all coiensidental or was something really wrong with my RAM is there a way to test RAM if i put it back in? and if i do find the RAM is bad I have never had to return RAM they are only a few months old I bought online from Newegg do i contact Newegg or Cosair directly?

thanks

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think it would be very odd if it was just coincidental and the kernel panics do sound like a potential ram problem. I wouldn't rule it out entirely though.

There is lots of stuff to test ram. Just type memtest in google. You will find lots and lots of stuff and explanations how to go about it.

If it is out of the return period you have to send it to corsair afaik. There should be some warranty form that came with the ram or else find it online that explains the whole process. Never done it myself but newegg just would have to send the ram to corsair too. Some retails shops I know offer that as a service but I doubt any online shops do.

3. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for the reply