RAM problems on my mbp...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stumpy992, Sep 30, 2008.

1. stumpy992 macrumors newbie

so i just upgraded my mbp to 4 gigs of ram, primarily for running music programs like ableton live.
    i quickly noticed that there was no discernible difference in the computers performance in the songs, and the cpu usage ableton would cap out at the exact same places it did when i had only 2 gigs of ram.
    i then check the activity moniter and now continue to check it as i'm doing things and have no idea what's really going on.
    at the moment i have firefox, adium, and itunes open and its telling me that i am currently using 2.06 gigs of ram. i know this isn't right and i dont know why its saying that...
    when i first turn the computer on and open nothing it says its using about 800 mb of memory. surely this isn't normal?

when i'm running ableton and have the cpu usage maxed with audio cutting in and out, the activity monitor says i still have a gig of unused memory. is this because im only on 2.2 ghz? i thought ram was the major deciding factor in being able to make this music, but there is literally no difference so far in performance.
    what have i done wrong? am i a total idiot?

the ram i bought:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134373

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe RAM is defective? Try running the extended Apple Hardware Test by booting with the Restore DVD and pressing 'D' during boot.

If your RAM is defective, well get a RMA on it.