RAM problems??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcnoob, Sep 21, 2008.

1. jcnoob macrumors newbie

i have a standard apple macbook (2.1 GHz CPU and 1GB ram (2 x 512 DDR2)
    i recently bought a Kingston's 2 GB DDR2 RAM (1). I pulled out a apple's original 512 RAM card and replaced it with the new kingston's 2GB card. so its 2GB on Bank 0 and 512 MB on bank 1. but when i rebooted my machine, system profiler said bank 0 was empty and bank 1 has my original apple RAM.

so im asking if 2 RAM of different manufacturers and memory (one 512 and one 2gb) will it work together? if it does, whats the problem with it? when i saw slot 0 was empty, i reinstalled the RAM again and the computer screen was blank and mad beep-beep sounds.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????!!!/

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Kingston RAM did you buy?
    The size is not sufficient information. The bus frequency is also important, as the MacBook only supports 667MHz up to now.
    And does it say it is Mac compatible?

Not every RAM is compatible with a Mac, you have to buy "special" RAM, that is supported by the Logic Board.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No such thing. There is no Mac-specific RAM.

No, you don't. It's not Mac-specific, it's just release/speed specific. You have to have the right number of pins and you have to have the right speed.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

^Sorry. My bad.

Two moths ago I was looking for RAM for my iMac, found one with the same bus frequency and pin numbers, but the sales man (or 2) told me that they are not compatible with my iMac.

So I went to a specialized Apple store and got it there.

As I understand you I can use every RAM in the world, as long as it has the same frequency and pin number?

Why are there almost always the recommendations for Crucial RAM?

5. jcnoob thread starter macrumors newbie

umm it is compatible with my mac. its kingston 2gb card DDR2 and 667mhz.
    when i tried putting it in, my mac screen went blank at boot and starting to make sounds.
    i went to the salesman guy and replaced it with 2 1gb RAM cards but still it wont work