Ram question / After Effects

Applesdontlie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
Canada
Desided on the iMac 27” 3.4, 8gb ram 256ssd
Mostly because it has a dedicated graphics card, AIO looks amazing and its almost the same price as building out a Mac mini with a monitor.

Looking at adding ram. If i add 1 stick of 16gb is that bad ? i read that ram has to be in pairs for some reason?
Basically i would leave the 2x4gb it came with add a 16gb and then in the future have the room to add another 16. Or if it is just wrong i will just add 2x16 now and just deal with the cost.
It is for normal use plus video editing; i believe my daughter wants to use After Effects if anyone nows how memory hungry the program is.
Thanks again

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
There's supposedly some performance hit if you don't install RAM in pairs. How much of if a hit I'm not sure. Maybe others can chime in.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Ye buy ram in pairs that way they can be used in dual channel and be more efficient.

Why not buy 2 x 8gb sticks then you have 16gb +8gb which makes 24gb. Should be fins for 90% of tasks. If you need later you can replace the other 2x4gb stick with 2x 8gbs should you need for 32gb.

After effects can be ram hungry im currently editing an 8 minute piece of footage with premier and after effects and its stiting at 22gbs ram usage between the two.