RAM question for 12 Core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by anisatam, Jul 5, 2012.

1. anisatam macrumors member

So I just got my 12 core 2.4 Mac Pro.

I was thinking of ordering some RAM but I wanted to future proof my machine so, wnat to order a 8 GB or maybe even 16 GB modules.

So I was thinking of either buying two 8 or 16 Gb modules.
    I have heard that the best performece you get is through 3+3 modules on the 12 Core machine, if I am not mistaken.

So if I add just 2 Modules will there be a performace hit?
    if so whats the best way forward.
    I dont want to buy 6 x 8Gb modules right now.

I want to add 2 now and then 2 later and so on.
    Any help would be really great.

(P.S. I know there must be an easy way of asking this question but this is it :p)

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

If you want to use your existing memory you will need to buy unbuffered memory to add to it. All the mac branded memory I've seen is registered when you get to 8GB and 16GB capacities, so just check what you are buying. Use superbiz or something to find best prices for UDIMMs in such sizes.

3. gjvon macrumors member

gjvon

LOL, you have pretty much solved your own problem. I do not feel you would be lacking performance at all. Unless you are "that guy" that feels statistics are more important than personal judgements.

My opinion, Get your 8, upgrade on the go. I started with 4, hated it. Went to 8, it was meh. Now I am at 16 and it is perfect. It is all personal preference man. Self opinion.

Kinda what I dislike about us mac users. Not enough of us nerds go off our own judgments. Statistics don't mean anything until you figure out what you will be doing with the machine on the daily basis.

4. highdefw macrumors 6502

16gb is the sweet spot, and will do well for 12 cores. Go for it!

5. Garamond macrumors regular

Easy: buy as much RAM as you can afford. I did, and I don't regret.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm using 24GB unregistered ECC in a 4x2 + 4x4 configuration and it's awesome. Any setup with 8GB DIMMs will run nice.