Ram Question: OCZ ram good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsolomonny, Mar 14, 2010.

1. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Hey Everyone,
    I am about to pull the trigger on a white unibody macbook. I can't wait anymore for the new unibody macbook pro to come out.

Anyway i want to put 4gb of ram in it and found this deal at the Microcenter:
    Our Price: $49.99
    After Rebate: $34.99 after rebate savings
    SKU: 003186
    Mfr Part #: OCZ3M10662G
    UPC: 842024009320
    Product Specifications

Memory Type DDR3
    Memory Capacity 2GB
    Memory Speed DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500)
    Supply Voltage 1.5 Volts
    Latency 8-8-8-27
    Buffered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
    Error Correction Code Non-ECC
    Memory Slot 204-pin SO-DIMM
    Manufacturer Warranty Lifetime Limited Warranty

Is this a good deal for good ram? Please let me know thanks.

2. merkkila macrumors newbie

From my experience: stay away of OCZ-stuff.

I upgraded Macbook Pro 5.5 memory (1066 DDR3) to 4GB using OCZ-modules.
    From the very first boot I noticed everything wasn't right, constant system hangs etc. Dealer replaced modules with new pair and second pair was even worse. System crashes, resulting corrupted data in HD and other 'not so funny' habits.

After approx 20 mails towards OCZ explaining the symptoms, that problems are fully repeatable, that I've tested memory sticks in every possible configuration I had in my hand (2 "stock" modules, 2 Kingston 1GB modules etc) they finally agreed full refund and I purchased Kingston 4GB-set.

Btw, memtest didn't report errors after 12 hours of testing with OCZ-modules. This was the case with both sets I tested. Problems appeared in "real life usage".

OCZ-modules were:
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_pc3_8500_ddr3_mac_sodimm

Kingston-modules:
    KTA-MB1066K2/4G

Kingstons have been in now for a while and haven't had a single problem.

What comes to OCZ, I do not even bother to tell all the problems with OCZ SSD "designed for Mac". 2 have been replaced since purchased drive month ago...

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That is a great deal! I haven't heard that OCZ products have problems with Mac, merkkila's are the first ones I've heard. I've used OWC RAM in several PCs without issues. I would ask from Microcenter will the refund if the RAM doesn't work and make an "open-deal" with them so you can take it back

4. merkkila macrumors newbie

Deal is great...if modules work!

OCZ-issues might have something to do with Nvidia 9400M and how it uses memory. It's been reported to be bit tricky with memory modules it accepts.

And to be honest, OCZ isn't alone with the problems.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1757875&start=225&tstart=0

From that thread you can find memory module listing compatible with Nvidia.

Afterwards I was told by dealer that they won't anymore suggest OCZ to be used with Macs. In some cases OCZ works fine and in some cases they don't..

Btw, that dealer is located in Helsinki ;)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's why you should always buy Mac compatible RAM ;) May cost little extra but works 100%.

BTW, are you from Finland? What reseller did you use?

6. merkkila macrumors newbie

From OCZ-site:

"PC3-8500 / 1066MHz / 2GB Modules / Qualified for Mac"

"OCZ validated SODIMMs are an excellent upgrade when changing out the memory in Intel® based MacBooks or MacBook Pros."

Sadly, that was not the case. I agree, that's why you should use really Mac-compatible RAM ;)

I've been using MacPeople, Humac and Verkkokauppa with Mac-related purchases. Verkkokauppa was reseller with OCZ.

Humac and MacPeople use Kingston-upgrades and they have their reasons for it ;)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I use them as well if I can't get what I need from work. Verkkokauppa has the best selection but I've found their knowledge and customer service quite bad, especially with returns/refunds. Humac and MacPeople are my favorites as well, great service and good locations :cool:

8. merkkila macrumors newbie

Couldn't agree more with best selection and bad customer service, usually. But I was bit surprised the way Verkkokauppa has handled OCZ-cases, with memory and SSD. After contacts with OCZ and realizing problems were not caused by faulty but "unsupported" modules, they gave me pair of Kingstons without questions asked.

Have to get rid of OCZ SSD too in near future. They've already agreed to replace that with Intel...

9. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I have Crucial, and it works like a charm. I only paid about 80 - 90 for both
    sticks off Amazon.