RAM Question (Possible dead RAM chip?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steiney, Sep 14, 2010.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I have a 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (A1211) with 2 GB of RAM (2 x 1 GB). The computer is about 3 1/2 years old now. It used to run very smoothly and was able to handle everything I threw at it. However, over the last couple of months, I have noticed that it seems to have a hard time handling the same amount of tasks/use that it once was able to handle. I don't think I have started using the computer more vigorously than before.

Question: Is it possible that one of the RAM chips "burned out" or stopped working, thereby effectively putting my computer at 1 GB of RAM? The only other option I can think of is that I just need to reinstall the operating system, which would be a hassle.

If anyone has any ideas or tips/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance!

steiney

2. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Use the discs that came with your MacBook Pro and run the Apple Hardware Test with the extended option selected. This will highlight any errors with RAM, logic board, processor etc.

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for such a quick response! I will check into that.

So I put the disc in and hold down "C"?

4. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Haha, no problem :)

I think it's C or D, it should say on the disc what key to hold down. Good luck :)

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

found via "apple hardware test"

7. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Spinnerlys,

Thanks! I appreciate the instructions. I'll post back if I have any more questions after running the diagnostic.