RAM Question/ problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kleptobizmol, Apr 3, 2009.

1. kleptobizmol macrumors member

kleptobizmol

hey there i have a white macbook thats upgradable to 4 gigs of RAM. I have a one gig stick and a two gig stick which i last checked like 4 months ago. Now my macbook says i only have one gig in my macbook. I installed bootcamp and have the new windows 7 installed. Did that divide my RAM in two so i can only use one stick on each OS or is their something else wrong? Any thoughts would make me much appreciated

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Something is wrong. Go into OS X and in System Profiler check the status of the memory. Post back the results you find.

3. kleptobizmol thread starter macrumors member

kleptobizmol

ah hah. i obviously recognizes the one gig stick but the other slot says its empty. i switched the slots so thats not the problem. this 2gig stick did work previously and i remember it even said it was compatible with mac just to get that possible problem out of the equation

4. kleptobizmol thread starter macrumors member

kleptobizmol

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

you're going to have to isolate whether it's the RAM module itself or the DIMM slot. Take out the 1GB DIMM and try the 2GB DIMM in each of the slot to see where the problem is.

6. kleptobizmol thread starter macrumors member

kleptobizmol

i have switched the RAM into each slots. Both work but the 2 gig stick isn't working. it previously worked though...i had it working for like 4 months or so

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Then it's bad RAM module. Depending on how long you've had it and where you purchased it, you might want to get in contact with whoever to see if you can get an exchange of some sort.