Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vzael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys, first post here. :)

Was looking at upgrading the RAM in my (mid 2010) 13" Macbook pro to 8GB. I also have an iMac from the same period (both are the latest models before Apple added thunderbolt) which currently has 8GB of RAM in it, which I use as my studio computer. Would it be possible for me to buy two 8GB sticks to place into the iMac and put the two old 4GB sticks into my Macbook pro? Thanks in advance! :)

Vzael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Mid 2010 13" MBP Ram Question

I made a similar thread regarding this a few months ago but I overlooked a detail whilst making it, my apologise.

Basically, I have two mid 2010 machines, an iMac with 8gb of ram (1333mhz) and a 13" MBP with 4gb of ram (1066mhz) and I wish to double the ram in both systems to their maximum capacity. To avoid having to fork out for four new sticks I was hoping to just buy two 8gb sticks for the iMac and reuse the two 4gb ones in the MBP. Now I've done some research and failed to find a definitive answer but I know that the 13" MBP does not officially support 1333mhz ram, all I want it to do is to perform equally to two sticks of 1066mhz ram. Is this possible?

Has anybody had experience with this? Just to clarify, they are the newest models prior to thunderbolt equipped machines.

Thanks in advance! I'm sorry if this has been stated else where, its a fairly niche question and I'm still a mac noob. :3

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm not entirely sure I follow.

Why would you do that given RAM prices today. Adding 2x 4 GB sticks to the iMac and replacing the RAM in the MBP seems like the best way to achieve your goal.

B

Vzael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
I've heard / is apparently common knowledge that using matched ram is by far the best bet, if i was to follow your advice Balamw, do you have any idea on finding out exactly what ram is in my iMac to try and order another matched pair? (two more 4gb sticks but preferably the exact same as already in my machine)

If its of any use, when I bought the iMac, i stupidly had the guys in the apple store upgrade the ram from 4gb to 8gb at an absurd price, so if anybody knows what ram apple would likely have used it would be a great help.

Thanks for the help in advance guys, sorry for being such a newb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.