RAM question

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I have 4 GB of RAM installed in my 2011 MBP(stock).

Free 50MB
Wired 958MB
Active 2.05GB
Inactive 988MB
Used 3.95GB

VM Size 203.14GB
Page ins 6.14GB
Page outs 4.57GB
Swap used 2.74GB

All I use this for is Safari, iMessage Beta, iCal, iTunes, MS Office/iWork, and Quicktime. Lots of flash with safari(YouTube and such). Also I am using it in clamshell mode with Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse with 20" Acer display. Every now and then if I wanna webcam I'll have both screens running so I can use the built in webcam, but then I close the screen when not in use.

I thought 4GB of RAM should do it, but do I need more?

Thanks!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Considering your Page Outs, Free & Inactive RAM, I would suggest adding more RAM. Probably 8GB would help out just fine.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Wow that was fast, and greatly appreciated. Question: Would my lack of "sufficient" RAM be the cause of why most YouTube videos are insanely choppy. I have to let the whole thing load before I can start watching it. Otherwise it'll play 2 seconds video, lag, but the audio will continue on without the video.

I added a screen shot if you could take a look please.

Thanks!

Attachments

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yes, that certainly could be the culprit. The other possibility could be that your Internet connection is too slow.

But you really should add more RAM. You'll see a big improvement in performance all around.