RAM Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nviz22, Aug 6, 2015.

1. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

So I am getting a Pro tomorrow. Is 16gb worth the extra $180 to upgrade? I want the best performance over time, but my usage is law school.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you can afford then it would be a good option. Always a good thing to have more RAM. Also it is a good selling point if and when you decide to sell the computer in the future.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Performance at doing what?

4. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Just longevity over time since soldering is hard to bypass.

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

If you're keeping it for 6-8 years and have the cash, sure. But is it really "worth it"? Probably not. It's a $180 upgrade. I'd be looking for $180 off haha.

Really though, I feel that the middle tier 13" rMBP as it is (i5/8GB/256GB), is a great machine that should last for a very long time. I'm hoping so at least. I've got 6-8 year old Macs still in daily use and I expect the same from a new one.

If you're just using it for law school a base model MacBook Air would do the job. Even my 2008 MacBook would do the job. So I wouldn't be very concerned about it for general web/office use. Even running VMs and Adobe/Apple pro apps 8GB will suffice.

But get it if you want it, it is your Mac after all :)

6. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

I just went with the base model. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. They did butcher my tax exemption for the tax holiday for my state. I called Apple when I saw it online and they said it should work once at checkout, but if not, call again and they'll take care of it. Now, do I sell the extra beats too? Could help with the cost of the machine, but seems like eBay is flooded with them.

7. jf1450 macrumors regular

8. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I feel you on the tax exemption stuff (work in IT for a church).

As for the Beats. Yeah, eBay is flooded and it's only going to pick up with this "education discount" of throwing in headphones. I'd either keep them for yourself, or find a family member or friend that may want them. It might be worth more to them than trying to put up with eBay/Craigslist.

9. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

I think I'll keep them.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Unless "law school" is an app I am not familiar with, the OP didn't say what he will be running.
    Generally speaking the ram upgrade is a rip-off.

11. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

Since you haven't given us any examples of applications you'll be running we can only assume you're going to be doing multi-tab online research coupled with lots of word processing and maybe some Netflix/YouTube? If this is true, I would stick with 8gb of ram. It's overkill for most people and OSX is built to run so seemlessly on MacBooks ram usage for the most part shouldn't be an issue.

12. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Yeah, I am sticking with 8gb. Usage is basic, but just wanted the most stability and longevity, but no point.

13. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

16GB would be useful if you needed running virtual machines. Otherwise, 8GB + a damn fast 1GB/s SSD is more than fine.

14. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Seems awesome and speedy compared to my old Dell 17R Inspiron series.