RAM question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elcid, May 29, 2007.

1. elcid macrumors 6502

I looked through previous posts but didnt find anything that really answered my questions.

I am pretty set on getting 2gb for my Mac Book. My main question is should I just by a 1gb stick, or do a proper upgrade and get two 1gb sticks of same make and model. Anyone out there know if there is a lot to gain from having the same equipment?

2. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I'm confused, you already have a GIG in there?

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you got your MacBook with 1GB in it then it'll have two 512MB sticks in it. If you get a 1GB chip, you'll have to remove one of the 512MB sticks giving you 1.5GB in total. Running unmatched memory also affects performance a little. While this doesn't have much of an effect in most applications, since the GMA950 graphics card in MacBooks use the RAM as their own memory, 3D graphics gets a significant power loss.
    To go to 2GB, you'll have to get 2x1GB chips and replace both of your 512MB chips.

4. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

If you already have one gig in there and it's a macbook, then it is two 512MB sticks in which case to get 2GB you would have to buy two 1GB memory sticks.

Edit: beat me to it oops.

5. elcid thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that makes sense then. That makes the decision process a lot easier. Thanks for the fast replies