ram question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madmartigan, Mar 25, 2008.

1. madmartigan macrumors member

hey I was just wondering if I ruined my ram sticks I bought, I purchased 4gigs for my mbp, but I had to return my mbp for repairing and had not yet installed the ram.

I opened the packaging the ram came out of though and was wondering that now the ram is just sitting in my closet is it damaged. Is the dust in my closet going to hurt the sticks. Should I clean the ram before I put it in the mbp?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, it's not likely damaged.

There is a small chance that static electricity could damage it if you handled the RAM whilst ungrounded. You should always ground yourself to a large metal object (or use a proper grounding strap connected to a ground terminal) while handling RAM.

As for the dust, you can wipe it off with a cloth and a bit of isopropanol (rubbing alcohol)

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah dust isnt going to do anything to it, you should see how much dust PC tower ram sticks collect, im not sure whose bright idea it was to design motherboards with the ram slots right at the exhaust point of the CPU fan

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's probably not as safe inside of a computer. I'd avoid a static discharge at all costs and keep them clean of dust. They're a lot tougher then you think though.

I've zapped my fair share of hardware and all of it has survived. Maybe I'm lucky.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i do have quite a few sticks of ram that have randomly stopped working though, my guess is static electricity zapped them

6. madmartigan thread starter macrumors member

there really just inside the box in there opened wrappers, and the only time i touched them i was handling the mbp right before i grabbed them so i guess i would of dischared myself touching the aluminum case.

But I did have them close to my microvave, can that do anything bad?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The RAM is fine. Why are you so worried? :(

8. madmartigan thread starter macrumors member

sorry, just want to be able to make sure that the ram is opperating as best as possible.