Ram question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bart rijksen, Apr 21, 2008.

1. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Does anyone know, if you can have apple increase your ram right in a local store? I am wanting to buy a 2.5Ghz 15 inch macbook pro and i would like a 4gb ram. The money isn't a problem, i just need to know if they can do it in the store.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You are almost always better to buy RAM from a third party seller than from Apple. On any Mac other than the Mini, installing RAM yourself is easy. If you don't want to do it, any Mac dealer or repair shop will do it for you for a minimum bench charge.

MR Guides: Hardware: Buying RAM

3. bart rijksen thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is i am going to the us to buy it, and i will only stay there for 2-3 days, so i need it done right there.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Extra Ram is an option, one which they will probably not have in stock there and then, so they will have to order it in for you.

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

RAM is one of Apple's proverbial cash cows, I would be extremely surprised if they did not have it in stock.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends where you are and where you are buying it from.
    An independent Apple dealer will almost always have RAM in stock, and often some choices that are less expensive than Apple.
    An AppleStore will have only Apple's expensive RAM, but they should be able to install it on the spot.
    A big box store would probably have the RAM in stock, but availability of personnel to install is definitely patchy.

7. phatcat macrumors regular

RAM is very easy to install yourself. I suggest you purchase the memory yourself, then bring to an Apple store. They'll be able to throw it in and it should be free of charge since you're purchasing a MAC at the same time. It takes less than 5 min with an eyeglass + screwdriver.

8. bart rijksen thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you can call a store, and ask them to order a custom build? I am going to buy a MBP in the US in 4 weeks, so i am just wondering if i can.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

AppleStores often refuse to install third party parts. Better chance with an independent dealer.

OP: How customized is the config? Is it just the RAM that you are changing from stock?

10. bart rijksen thread starter macrumors regular

If i could change more i would, i would like the 7200rpm drive and the 2.6 ghz instead of the 2.5. I am not sure about the ram yet, but i will probably get it.