RAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fluidedge, Jun 7, 2008.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I've just opened up my January 2008 mac pro for a bit of a spring clean and noticed something strange. The two RAM modules (I just have standard 2GB at the moment) are on different spacers. If they are to be a matched pair shouldn't they occupy RiserA slots 1 and 2 rather than Slot 1 of Riser A and B respectively?

Anyway i switched the one from RiserB slot 1 to RiserA slot 2 and everything seems to be OK.

Will i see any improvement from matching up the RAM modules?

Also when i add more RAM should i fill up Riser A or move to Riser B slots 1 and 2

2. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

As far as I know, 2 x 1 GB Apple stock RAM are always installed in that way (slot 1 on A and B). So you may be pretty sure that's 100 % correct and kosher. No need to replace.

sash

3. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I'm going to try XBench'ing the machine both ways and see if it makes a difference.

4. peejack macrumors 6502a

How you found them is how they should be configured, leave them.

5. passingXstorm macrumors regular

The older Mac Pros had RAM installed by pairs; riser A 1 & 2, riser B 1 & 2, riser A 3 & 4, riser B 3 & 4. The newer ones alternate risers (i.e. riser A 1, riser B 1, riser A 2, riser B 2, etc). When you look on the inside of the Mac Pro door there should be a graphical tutorial on it that shows how to install RAM correctly on your Mac Pro. Hope that helped. :D

6. Roy macrumors 6502

I've never seen anyone explain WHY the 2006 Mac Pros and the early 2008 Mac Pros have/has their original memory installed differently by Apple. There has to be a reason, but I've never seen anyone ask why the difference and I've never seen an explanation. Anyone know?