RAM question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by powpow, Nov 19, 2008.

1. powpow macrumors member

Sorry it this is basic, but I've been out of the loop for awhile.

If I want to upgrade a new MacBook to 4Gigs of RAM, do I buy one 2Gig or two 1Gigs? Also, all of the RAM lingo confuses me. Can someone type the exact kind that I would need.

Anything else I should know? Thanks!

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

You would need 2x2gb sticks, there are only two slots in the Macbook so you need to take out the 2x1gb that's in there and replace it. Crucial.com has an easy RAM finder by model, check that out.

3. powpow thread starter macrumors member

4. Ramius macrumors 6502

The manual confused me a little bit, it says I have to remove the ram thats already in there, and replace it with the new.

Does that mean theres no free ramslots? And what kind of Ram do you have to use? Does Mac patent their own RAM, or can you buy from several different brands?

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

I would seriously suggest reading the thread. As ref26 already posted, there are 2x1GB sticks in the laptop that need to be replaced with 2x2GB sticks to make 4GB. So yes, there are only two slots. Secondly, if you go to crucial.com (also as ref26 suggested), they have a memory advisor utility that tells you which type of RAM you need for which laptop. If you select the late 2008 MacBook (MB466LL/A or MB467LL/A), you'll see that it's DDR3 RAM. It's not unique to Apple, but it is fairly new so it's still quite expensive.