Ram Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacJohnson, Dec 25, 2008.

1. MacJohnson macrumors regular

MacJohnson

Hey. I already have a fast brand new MBP...I have 4gb what is the max i can go out and what is the best ram out there for me to by..Just want to make it a lil faster.. Thanks

2. MacJohnson thread starter macrumors regular

MacJohnson

3. MacJohnson thread starter macrumors regular

MacJohnson

would this work and be true or what should i know??

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Why do you want to upgrade to 6GB of RAM anyway? 99% of the time, that is complete overkill (that is, not necessary - you won't even notice the difference).

If you're looking for a slight performance improvement, you're better off upgrading the HD to either 7200rpm or SSD (from the stock 5400rpm).

5. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I agree with nope. I read an article on barefeats a while back that indicated 6GB gave negligible performance boost. As your hard drive is the major bottleneck, the 7200rpm drive will definitely show a performance increase. And... the drive will cost far less than 6GB of RAM. (drive is from directcanada.com)

Attached Files:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it won't work because your computer comes with 4GB in a 2x2GB configuration and there are only 2 slots. The only upgrade path is to remove one of the 2GB sticks and buy one of these.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For helpful information on Mac RAM, feel free to browse through our Guides as well. :)

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

upgrading the ram from 4GB to 6GB is a complete waste of time as your not using a 64bit operating system, so you wont get even 1% performance increase, infact due to latency issues you'll make your computer slower. Im not going to explain the whole shimwaz but basically save your money for Snow Leopard first.

9. MacJohnson thread starter macrumors regular

MacJohnson

sounds good..ill hold out guys. I went to the apple serial number place and put in my serial number. it says that its a 2.8ghz but i bought a 2.53 is the site a typo or is my mac really 2.8

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What does your mac say about it? I'd trust it, personally.

11. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Are you sure you didn't purchase the 2.8Ghz model? Last time I checked, Apple doesn't hand out free upgrades...

And even when Snow Leopard is released, I would still advise against buying 6GB of RAM. I can't imagine many situations where you would benefit from having that much RAM. It simply isn't worth the money.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, unless you're doing some heavy duty Photoshop or Final Cut Pro work, I don't really see the the need either. 4 GB should do you just fine for now.

13. MacJohnson thread starter macrumors regular

MacJohnson

Yea im sure becuase it says that its a 2.53 in about this mac

14. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

What?

The place where you find the serial number is under "About This Mac". If you check there, that will let you know which processor is in your machine. If it says 2.53Ghz, then you have the mid-level model.

I'm not sure where you're getting the 2.8Ghz from, but you probably have the 2.53Ghz.

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And you verified the serial number which is cited in System Profiler as well, at the bottom of the system info which includes your proc speed?

16. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

17. thedomus macrumors newbie

Its all good!

It does depend on what apps you use frequently!
    I'm a power Logic user with daily use of large sample libraries with the EXS24 and PLAY engines on both a MacPro and a MBPro and swapping out one of the 2GB slots for 4GB has made a huge operating difference to Logic on a MBPro, and thats with 5400RPM HD!!!
    Barefeats was not that negative about the performance hit with 6GB (4 and 2GB mismatch) contrary to some comments here.