RAM Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by str8bucs, Apr 29, 2010.

1. str8bucs macrumors regular

Will you notice a difference between 4gb to 8gb?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on what you're using your computer for.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Depends what you are doing. If you are not dealing with large files or have lot of apps open at one time no. I have 4GB on my MBP and have no issues at even with half a dozen apps open.

Normally, the rule is buy all the RAM you can afford. However 4GB sticks are not inexpensive @ $200 each. Maybe when they drop to $100 it will be worth reconsidering.

4. str8bucs thread starter macrumors regular

I use it for a little bit of everything video conversions, burning cd's and dvd's, surfing, audio mixing

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Depending on the software you use to use, the amount of RAM you need is different. For you and your needs you posted I would say 4GB is fine. If you really want to increase the speed of your Macbook (and have some money going spare) purchase an SSD.

6. str8bucs thread starter macrumors regular

well its not really the speed I am after its smokin' right now! I have put a 7200 rpm drive in and i can see a huge difference from the 5400!

I need to install Parallels/ Windows 7 for some work apps I have that will not run on Mac so I was wonder that type of affect it will have on the system

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Again it depends on how much RAM the programs on Windows 7 require?

8. 4PPLEM4C macrumors newbie

I ran parallels and windows 7 on 4GB and at times it got a little slow if you had several apps open.

Upgraded to 8GB and everything runs smoothly now. Well worth the upgrade IMO