RAM questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mushrooshi, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

1. How much ram does the graphics use max at 1gb? 2gb?
    2. Where is the cheapest (but still good)place to buy a 2 or 3gb ram upgrade.

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

2. Newegg usually has pretty good prices, and they're a very reputable retailer. That would be my first choice when buying RAM.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

1. I assume you're asking about a MB with integrated graphics, and how much of the main memory is reserved by the graphics chip. The older MBs could, under Windows, use up to 224MB of main memory for the graphics, but I'm pretty sure Tiger uses 64MB regardless of what you're doing or how much total RAM you have. Leopard may be different, but I haven't heard anything specific.

2. You can look around the forums here for all the standard suggestions, but my vote (and that of some others) is DMS (DataMem.com)--they're not the cheapest, but their prices are still quite good, they guarantee compatibility with your Mac, their stuff is good, and they have a lifetime advance replacement warranty. They're also not fly-by-night, and I can say for certain that they do honor their warranty (I've never had a stick go bad, but I've gotten a couple of DOAs at work). Oh, and their tech support actually answers the phone--it's weird. No "Press 1 for..."

Incidentally, you can probably find benchmarks to prove me wrong or right, but I believe that on the MBs, with their dedicated graphics, that it's generally a good idea to keep the RAM in identical pairs--gives a little extra help to the relatively weak graphics system. MBPs technically benefit from it, but the real-world speed boost is maybe 2% at most, so not at all worth worrying about.

4. Mushrooshi thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a Tiger hack that lets the system use 244mb.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Not that I know of. I would rather it not use much that way i still have lots o' ram.