RAM requirement for Leopard

Yonz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Germany
Hi all,

The wait is over, and I'm about to go out and order an iMac (20", 2.4GHz)

Will 2GB by sufficient to run Leopard with all it's goodies, or should I fork out the extra cash and go for 4GB? (One of the Apps will be Parallels, running Windows XP with 512MB allocated to the VM)

Yonz

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You can never have too much RAM.

2Gb should be perfectly adequate, but if you can afford to go for 4GB it won't be money wasted.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
2GB isn't enough if you will be using Parallels a lot. Parallels is a giant system resource sucker and w/ 2GB the Mac side of your machine will run slower. Go w/ 4GB. (Don't buy it from Apple though). Even better, get the 4GB but get VMWare Fusion instead of Parallels. Fewer features, but it doesn't take over your machine and runs smoother.

Comment

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
2GB isn't enough if you will be using Parallels a lot. Parallels is a giant system resource sucker and w/ 2GB the Mac side of your machine will run slower. Go w/ 4GB.
It greatly depends upon the type of apps you run on VM. Vista would require more RAM than XP for example. Graphic apps need more memory than office programs etc. Normally, i belieму 2Gigs are enough (because I have the same amount for Parallels to run almost perfectly).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.