RAM roadmap - second hand MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deux-ex-mak, Aug 10, 2007.

1. deux-ex-mak macrumors newbie

Hi all

I need the machine rather soon, there is a project for it, starting early September. Given the circumstances, no updates, no announcements, I won't give the money to Apple but to an ebay seller instead.

Sorry I can't afford to spend this sort of cash on a new machine to find out 2 weeks later that they have updated the line. That brings me too close to 1st degree murder if you know what I mean.

I was too disappointed the other day to say anything but yes, I did too write to Apple complaining about the lack of updates for the MP, and read your comments and thoughts about possible future developments.

I am studying several scenarios, and my question is:

Is the current RAM spec here to stay for a while, do you think it will be the same standard for the next MP updated line, any info/ rumours in about this?

I ask this question to try to find out how worthwhile it is to buy a 2nd hand MP with plenty of added RAM, and that depends partly on whether this RAM will be still be compatible with the new future MPs

Thanks

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

You'd probably save some $$ if you went used.

If you can wait a few more weeks I think we'll see some updates.

The Mac Pro's lineup has been untouched (90 percent of it) for over 365 days.

At this point, buy USED or WAIT.

When I bought it back in June I knew it was a risky move, but I still love it. It's still the king of the Mac Line-Up.

3. deux-ex-mak thread starter macrumors newbie

yea but what about the RAM

Yes I know but, what about the RAM ?

Everyone here has been talking about the new Intel processors and motherboards, but no one mentioned RAM.

So you would assume that there's no incoming change in RAM specs soon, but maybe the gurus in these forums could clarify things...

I used to be up to date when it comes to IT tech, lately I just try to find out what's the latest only when I really need it, such is the case now.

anyway thanks

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

RAM will stay DDR2-FBDIMMs, we may see 800 speed, but 667 is what i expect.

5. deux-ex-mak thread starter macrumors newbie

thx suneohair

That's what I'd imagine, but it's good to hear it from others.

It's funny but I think most of the people considering buying are at the same time buying more RAM.

Even my crappy P4 PC -6 years old, has 1 gig of RAM.

And yes there are really good second hand deals if you consider the extra RAM most users have added

6. seclusion macrumors regular

seclusion

I doubt they'll do anymore then a GPU update.
    Far as I'm concerned that's enough for me.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I think it can be, I could see it being feasible to buy a used MP now, even buying up the unwanted 512MB DIMMs that come with MPs if people are selling them off to get your desired amount of memory, then reselling for very close to what you paid when the new machines finally come if you so wished.