Ram & routers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bleuhhhh, Oct 11, 2007.

1. bleuhhhh macrumors newbie

I've got 2 questions. First, is about RAM. Will the quality be the same if I buy it on www.canadaram.com, for example? Is it cheap? I don't know very much about all those things...

And my second question is about router... I plan to have a iMac in my bedroom, and the PC is in the living room... SO, i'm asking myself if it would be better (speed, download, upload, etc) to go wired OR to go wireless... And if i go wireless, does it worth the pain to buy, for exemple, the Airport Extreme Station? will it be the same as if i used wires? and also, i'm planning to buy an external hard drive for my music and Time Machine... Would it be better to plug it into the iMac or would it be okay to have it wireless? And LAST question... If i go with a wired solution, is a 54 mgbs wireless router the same wired speed as a 108 mgb?? thanks for your answers!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, buy from CanadaRAM. They'll help you find the appropriate RAM for your machine, at a decent price.

As for the network, I'd go with wires if you can. It's generally faster, more secure and it's not susceptible to drop outs and interference. However, remember that a network is as fast as its slowest link. If you buy an 802.11G wireless router (54Mbps), then it will not be able to achieve 802.11N speeds (108Mbps).

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The same quality as what? For there to be a comparison we need at least 2 things to compare.

CanadaRAM is long-time member here of good standing (I assume that's his URL). He'll probably be along soon to reassure you :)

4. bleuhhhh thread starter macrumors newbie

But, is 54mbg enough for a nromal use, or 108 or faster would be recommended?

5. bleuhhhh thread starter macrumors newbie

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The only difference will be when you transfer files from one of your machines to the other. Neither will make the internet any faster as your internet connection is much slower than both 54 and 108

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes.

8. bleuhhhh thread starter macrumors newbie

But the more i think about it, the more i doubt... Why canadaRam is selling RAM module so cheap versus apple?? where does apple take its own ram modules?? :S i wanna be sure to have the same quality in my Mac, it's my first and i don't wanna be disapointed... :S

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Firstly. Apple don't make RAM, they buy other peoples, mark up the price, and sell them to you. Often the RAM you can buy from third parties are from the same manufacturer as Apple uses, but without the hideous markup.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Apple likes to make a HUGE profit on RAM. CanadaRAM (and others) like to make a smaller profit. CanadaRAM comes highly recommended. I used them for a 4GB kit and they guarantee compatibility and provide a lifetime warranty. No worries.

11. bleuhhhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys... I think i will buy hte 2x1 on apple store with the iMac and later i'll just buy the 2x2... Hoping that it will be enough for photoshop...!