RAM selection poll

If only planning on ever having 16GB RAM, would you...

• Buy stock model locally and upgrade on your own in the future (b/c you want immediate gratification)

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Buy stock model locally and upgrade on your own in the future (to leave open the option >16GB)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Buy the upgraded model online and have to wait for shipment and delivery (delayed gratification)

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
8GB RAM now vs. 16GB RAM build to order vs. 8GB RAM now so that you keep your future options open.

Please vote!

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
Do you mean you only plan on changing RAM, nothing else?

If this is the case, why not buy locally, and upgrade the RAM yourself?

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
16gb doesn't cost much to order from apple. Beyond that I would, and have, upgraded myself. Though I checked my mini last night and it was using 16gb with everything that I typically leave open.

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
16gb doesn't cost much to order from apple. Beyond that I would, and have, upgraded myself. Though I checked my mini last night and it was using 16gb with everything that I typically leave open.
Yea, I guess it would depend on what the 16GB BTO cost vs two 8GB sticks.

My answer would depend on the price difference.

mightyjabba

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
For 16GB, I personally wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to upgrade it myself. Back when it was just a matter of opening a door or removing the keyboard on a portable, I always got third-party RAM and installed it myself. But with the new mini, while most people say it isn't too difficult to upgrade, there is a non-zero chance of breaking something. For the difference between Apple's RAM and what third-party RAM costs, I'd rather have a little peace of mind knowing that I don't have to open up the machine, and won't have any warranty issues either. Admittedly, I would have rather had 32GB, but I don't really need it, and if at some point in the future I decide I do, the RAM will have gotten cheaper and I will still have the option of opening it up myself.