RAM seller advice-opinion for 16gigs upgrade.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fanis.gourlemak, Sep 27, 2017.

1. fanis.gourlemak, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

fanis.gourlemak macrumors newbie

fanis.gourlemak

Hello to the community.

I own a mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro (7,1) running 10.10.5 . I am a university student so bying a newer machine isn't an option right now. I am planning to run Ubuntu on VM with some Digital Design software and i really need a memory upgrade from the 4gigs it now has. I need your help in which seller to choose to spent my money. So the facts are:

- I am located in Europe, Greece.
    - The laptop has already an SSD on it.
    - I thought of the 8 gig option but as i am planning to keep the machine for at least another 2 years, unless
    sth happens to it, I'm thinking to go for the best as the last upgrade. I use it for programming and general stuff but no games.
    - I am between the OWC european shop(if someone can confirm its an official additional website) and the Flexx memory seller in UK.
    - I think OWC is more expensive. Does that mean anything or should i go for the cheapest?

I like OWC and they have a greek reseller with so expensive shipping costs.But i sent an email to both the official website(American one) and the european one with some questions and they didn't answer.It's been some days now. That makes me think that if i have a warranty issue i won't find them or i won't be able to change my product. Flexx memory in UK has a reasonable shipping cost and its my alternative.

What's your opinion? Any advices? I want to buy these days but i cannot make up my mind.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I would try amazon if I was you although that may well end up being Flexx in the UK for you but amazon global may save you some cash or amazon eu.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I’d highly recommend using crucial they do ship to Greece. It takes 3-5 days.

4. fanis.gourlemak, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

fanis.gourlemak thread starter macrumors newbie

fanis.gourlemak

I kind don't want to buy through Amazon. Being in Greece, Amazon isn't used so much and i don't want to end up having issues with warranty if i need to use it. Some times there are knock offs too.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    Crucial is way too expensive. Their 8GB kit is almost in the same price as the 16GB kit of the others sellers. And i don't know if their 16GB kit is supported by the notebook.
    Edit: In their website they don't provide a 16GB kit - option for my model.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I'm a big fan of Crucial as well because my experience with their Mac memory has been by far the most consistent experience. Alternatively, Kingston has some value-priced RAM that is well-reviewed among Mac Users.

On their website they have authorized resellers. Perhaps one of the authorized resellers that ships to or is located in Greece would have an 8GB kit for a little less than buying directly from them?

6. fanis.gourlemak thread starter macrumors newbie

fanis.gourlemak

Thank you for your answer. I will check your suggestions. But there some 16Gb kits that are available for my model and as the last upgrade to this laptop i don't want to buy 8gigs. In addition to that my VMs will use at least 4GB of memory. So i kind of want the 16gigs.