RAM Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Silverhawk, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Silverhawk macrumors member

Silverhawk

I know this topic maybe around somewhere but I thought having 2GB of RAM for the new mac pro would be enough. I'm thinking about buying more RAM but I wanted to know what everyone else's settings are for their new Mac Pro (Yes I do plan to get it through OWC) I know that more RAM is always a good thing but I just want to know what's the best setting to upgrade to without having to go crazy to 32GB of RAM hehe

As for what I do on my Mac Pro, it would be casual video and audio editing, and Playing World of Warcraft.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Forgive me if this is ridiculously huge, but it took me forever to find it. This is the best guide to installing Mac Pro RAM, and it's tossed around these forums quite often. The black configurations are the most desirable, as you get the advantage of the quad-channel RAM thingy that the Mac Pro has going for it. Granted, this chart does not yet scale to 32GB, but you get the picture.

3. wpattison macrumors member

wpattison

Excellent diagram, but does it matter how the memory from two different matched pairs is installed in a 4x1GB configuration (on that diagram, 4C)?

I'm assuming the first pair in Riser A, and the second in Riser B?

4. thedommer macrumors regular

when my mac arrives 6D is what I probably should be doing. from what it shows I shouldnt put the 6 gigs on one card.. does everyone agree with that...? 4 (2 x 2gig) gigs on one card and 2 (2 x 1 gig) gigs on the other?

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

There's something wrong with that diagram. When I got my new Mac Pro ( early 2008 ) dual 2.8 it came with a 1gig stick on riser A and a 1gig stick on riser B. Apple wouldn't have done it this way unless it was the correct way.

That diagram shows 2 1gig sticks on one riser only.

6. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

7. FastMan macrumors member

I believe 2 sticks on one riser was how it was recomended in the prior Pro, and it has change to 1 top 1 bottom on the new Pro.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

That's correct so that diagram is wrong.

9. FastMan macrumors member

The owners manual does a rather nice job of explaining RAM installation. One comes with every machine.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Who gives a flying frig? Seriously, the diagram is correct for everything but two DIMMs in the NEW Mac Pro. There are more people with the old for whom the diagram is a saving grace. If the diagram is to be updated to include the different DIMM configuration in the new Mac Pro, then it should also be extended to 32GB to make it even more huge. :p

Show me how it was made in the first place and I'll do it. That'd be fun!