RAM, SSD upgrade for '08 MBPro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmesser, Jan 31, 2015.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I want to upgrade an early '08 MacbookPro and am seeing conflicting information from various sources. Crucial website says 4GB RAM is max. I have also seen 6GB given as max. The system currently has 4GB and with 2 slots so I would need a 4GB module. Does anyone know definitively if this system can access 6GB?

The machine will be for light duty work; web browsing, email, light graphics for web maintenance, word processor, etc. The reason I want to upgrade is just so I can upgrade 10.7.5 to latest (or more recent) OS. It's running 10.7.5 fairly well, if a tad slowly.

Thoughts on whether this is a good investment which will extend useful life of machine?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The early 2008 will accept 6GB.

A SSD won't be all that great in there with SATA I speeds. It'll be faster, but not by much.

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. It really helps. I was on the fence about the SSD. OWC SSDs claim to be much more power efficient but maybe not compelling for me.

4. liya1201 macrumors member

I have an early 2008 MBP with 6 GB Ram and a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD. Compared to conventional spinning hard drive, upgrade to SSD significantly boosted its speed.

5. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing experience! Couldn't be more relevant to my question and puts things in a new light.