RAM/SSD Upgrade Warranty Info

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ExiledMafia, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Alright so I've been following this forum for a while and have been looking for forums about whether or not upgrading you RAM and HD void your warranty.

SO far I've pieced this together. HD is user replaceable and RAM is not....But obviously if you put the old ram back in apple would never know theoretically. I was just wondering for some input, maybe from people with stories about their computer ex. having to install old ram etc. and how the process went.

I'm just paranoid because I'm putting a lot of money into this machine, including the extended warrant and upfront cost, and don't want to be screwed if something get messed up.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The ram is upgradable. There are instructions on Apple.com to do it. The third party ram itself isn't covered under Apple's warranty.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Both RAM and HDD are user upgradeable. When I took my MBP in for service, I had to pull my 8GB of ram and 500GB HDD (both aftermarket) to put in my 2010 White MacBook (so that it would be like it was the same compute; all my stuff would be there). I put the stock 250gb HDD and 2gb of ram from the MacBook (I gave away my old 4gb from my MBP) and the apple employees said nothing to me.

4. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

Thats good news indeed, what are you recommendations on RAM upgrades?

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

crucial and samsung for me as of Apple as well.

6. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

SO I've been pretty busy recently with classes recently, just wondering what everyones recommendation is on the best SSD. I have the 13" 2011 and I know there are a ton of threads out there I was just hoping there is some people who have had some person experience or can point me to the right place.....Thanks again!

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Best SSD in terms of what? Read speed? Write speed? Capacity? Reliability?

Also, what are you planning to do on your 13.3" MBP that would warrant the expense of a SSD? If you want one just so you can boot up your computer faster you're going to be paying a lot of money for that privilege.

Besides, if you've already seen multiple threads on SSDs here, why not read them and give yourself a good idea of what you want/need?

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The manual which comes with your Mac, says NO.

----------

Search MR! We discussed this about a thousand times in 2011 and previous years.

9. jdsingle macrumors regular

There is a SSD Buying Guide at the top of this page...that's too much to look through instead of remembering what thread this is and checking in here?

10. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

Mainly its to run programs like Matlab, Video editing, etc. Space isn't of huge concern and reliability is above key.

I read through that and unfortunately I couldn't find much helpful on what brands are best.

I understand there are a lot of threads and I have weeded through them and have some ideas of what I am looking at, believe me I know and understand the search button. I am just confused because I read somewhere that if you have a 13" you can have this and if you have a 15 or 17" you need this. Also, maybe if someone bought one recently for a great deal. Plus I'm looking for some people who have one in right now and their experiences.

11. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Maybe because there's no such thing as a best brand when it comes to SSDs. It's going to depend on a lot of things, from the capacity you're looking for to SLC vs. MLC to your budget. Maybe if you gave some more details about what you're looking for people could be more helpful.