Ram & SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OMGwtfBBQwings, Sep 19, 2011.

1. OMGwtfBBQwings macrumors regular

I'm about to purchase a macbook pro 13" i5 on on friday. I've decided that the 0.3ghz isnt really worth the extra £300 premium and that a RAM and more importantly a SSD upgrade would be more beneficial.

Here are two that i'm probably going to order simply because my friend used these and his same spec macbook is running smooth with no problems encountered.

Ram:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Apple-8GB-Kit/dp/B001PS9UKW/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1316440317&sr=1-1

SSD: (this also has a handy enclosure which i can use my then old HDD as an external drive)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-128GB-2-5inch-Notebook-bundle/dp/B004BP93FS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1316439946&sr=1-1

Just wanted to ask for advice from more season mac users on these items.
    (ive been with windows for about 7years)

I know that perhaps the OCZ vertex is a better option but its also £70 more costlier which to a student is alot of pints of beers :D

Also, whilst scimming these forums, ive come across some users has problems with trim or whatever with some SSD's. will encounter these with my choice of SSD?

Thanks in advance

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

They are both fine.
    but I would suggest you getting a bigger HDD as external since 128GB wouldnt be enough (well for me).

The Kingston SSD is good but I would prefer the Samsung 470 or Crucial M4.
    Although there wouldnt be any problem with the kingston.

3. OMGwtfBBQwings thread starter macrumors regular

i have a 5 year vaio pc with 90gb which is enough so i think 128 would also be enough, besides 256gb ssd are too expensive at the moment for me.

which of the two(samsung and crucial) has better performace? sumsungs read write speeds are 230mbps 250mps where as the crucials seem to be 415mbps and 95mbps?

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I like my samsung better.
    M4 is also good but not much as 470 in my opinion.

5. OMGwtfBBQwings thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, do you think sata 3|III drives are worth extra money?

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Only for top end SSDs.
    SATA 2 and 3 are pretty much the same but a newer interface supported.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

At the moment SATA 3 drives are generally more unstable than the SATA 2 drives, and more expensive as well. On top of that, the performance difference between a standard hard drive and a SATA 2 SSD is much bigger than the difference between SATA 2 and 3 SSDs.

8. OMGwtfBBQwings thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Samsung 470 128gb it is then.

are there any better ram sticks out there as well?

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not really, just get whatever you can find cheapest, it's all essentially the same.