Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom Foolery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I just installed vista with parallels 4. i'm and running an 2.2 C2D MBP with 4GB Ram. i have had to restart parallels 2 or 3 times after i installed all the proper updates. however each time i restart it the ream doesn't change to free it stays and inactive or active. and each time i start parallels up again it takes up a little more Ram

Right now i have only Safari, Itunes, Mail, and transmission running yet activity moniter says i only have 1.18GB free. this is not as much of a problem right no since i rarely use all 4GB but it was when i was running 2GB and I would still like to solve it

thanks

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hello,

RAM has a very wierd way of working. when a program requests RAM the RAM will be marked as "active", when you quit a program the RAM that was used by that particular program will become "inactive" until another program requests it.

i guess this is a kind of fault with all computer systems, not really a fault though.. i wouldnt worry about it, all the RAM is still available after it has been used and once the program has quit.. OSX just has a funny way of showing it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.