RAM suggestions (MP 3,1)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pullman, Jun 18, 2013.

1. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

I wish to upgrade the memory in my MP 08 (3,1). I'm looking at 2x4GB to make it 16 in total.

I've had bad experiences with OWC RAM so am looking for other suggestions for reliable memory.

TIA
    p

2. applegeek897 macrumors regular

I think 16GB is a sweet spot, I got my ram from OWC and they were great with fast shipping and I live in Australia.

3. pullman, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Europe and they were ok fast to send here.

But so far 50% of the sticks I've bought from them (and 3 out of 4 Mercury Extremes) have failed. True, their RMA is good -- and I have used it, receiving sticks and SSDs which broke within a few months -- but it makes no financial sense to risk having to ship faulty equipment across the Atlantic. So OWC is a no-go for me.

Any other suggestions?

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've also had Mac Pro RAM from OWC fail on me before. They replaced them with no questions asked but it was still a pain. The RAM was for my 1st gen Mac Pro.

5. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

6. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

7. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Well, as you, I did hessitate. Hence I only bought one kit as a start. As the kit turned out to work well, in my MP, i pulled the trigger and ordered two kit more.
    I´ve oncountered no problems with the sticks.

8. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

That's a prudent way to proceed. I did see there are some negative reviews so ideally i'd like to find a more known brand.

Would it be fair to say 2x4GB is roughly 250€ or are there better deals around for non-"value" ram?

9. barmann macrumors 6502

In Germany, the lowest prices I found are about 175€ for 2x4GB, for the MP 3.1 , like from this seller .
    This is from seemingly reputable local sellers, comes with a warranty, and includes 19% VAT, which as a business owner I get back .

Komputerbay is far cheaper - IF you can't reclaim VAT .

10. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks for this. I have heard of Hynix before (from googling around it seems they're making a lot of OEM RAM). 350€ for 16GB seems almost too good to be true. And they ship to The Netherlands for 5,90€. Not bad.

Question is how reliable it is. The specs are spot on, and the heatsink is Apple "validated" whatever that means. It does look like the heatsink on my current RAM though. In fact, the sticks on the picture look exactly that the ones I've ordered from OWC in the past, or the sticks that came with my computer...

11. barmann macrumors 6502

Well, they all look the same, don't they ?
    The question is about quality control, it's not like they make Ram sticks in Chinese sweatshops .

I have no idea how reliable those are, but the seller looks a lot less fishy than Komputerbay .

12. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

I would agree, they have a very impressive rating.

Thanks for linking to this site. It seems their RAM is CL6. The MP3,1 requires CL5. I've seen posts at Apple Discussions that CL6 memory won't work.

13. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

I had in my ex MP 3.1 both 2GB and 4GB CSX modules and they worked perfectly. I would not send you links of something that I did not tried first.

14. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you would. I really appreciate your (and everyone else's help)!

The CSX RAM seems to be sold here in NL by Gistron but it seems they don't have the right ones in stock though unless I missed it on their site :(