Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hockeyislife91

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Arizona
Hey forums, I just ordered some RAM for my Mid 2010 15in MBP and was curious if I could take the old 2gb RAM sticks out of my MBP and put it in my girlfriend's Late 2008 Macbook?

It is a 2Ghz C2D and has 2gb 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM as per the "About this Mac" Page but I want to make sure this swap will work before I open up her macbook.

Additionally, is there anything I need to do to the RAM before switching it to another macbook?

Hockeyislife91

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Arizona
I don't know much about stuff on this level but I did check and the RAM in my 2010 MBP matches up to the RAM in my gf's 2008 Macbook

1067 MHz DDR3

is the RAM in both.

Has anyone done this, heard of this being done, I've searched and haven't found much

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
If both Notebooks use DDR3 aka PC3 RAM than all you have to do is remove it from one and put it into the other. And if one is DDR2 you will not be able to put the RAM in without destroying anything.
Jaro meant you shouldn't damage it in the process or hit it with a hammer for fun.
They don't break easily and the Notebook will detect the RAM on its own if you put it in right.
You don't have to do ANYTHING at all but switch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.