RAM testing programs to use after installing new OWC RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZenErik, Dec 23, 2007.

1. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I searched for threads, and I guess I probably didn't search well because I didn't really find anything too new.

Basically, once my MacBook gets back from repair, I will be installing 4 gigs of OWC RAM I ordered. From what I've researched, my MacBook has a maximum of 3.3 gigs of RAM, but I ordered the 4 gig pair anyway because it was only $100. Anyway, I hope I ordered reputable RAM. Feel free to share your input on OWC. And I'm just looking for the programs I should use to test it and make sure everything is just lovely. :p

Also, do I have to do anything additional besides the physical install? I know with my old PC desktop I had to set the RAM's timings.

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have OWC RAM in most of my computers. Only had a problem with 1 chip and they replaced it immediately.

Try this website for RAM testing : http://www.memtestosx.org/

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

In my opinion, memtest (linked above) is the best choice for testing RAM on a Mac. Just make sure you run it with multiple passes.. and be patient.

4. ZenErik thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks folks. I will try it out. My RAM is ordered and my computer should be done being fixed around the time it comes. :)

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No software is perfect. Memtest reported both OWC SO-DIMMs as fine on my Mini, when if fact, one was bad. I sent it in and OWC replaced it right away, so the problem was resolved.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hey i was wondering if anyone knows of a reliable test that is for free, i know it only costs 1.39 but if there is a free test out there that i can run that would be great, thanks!

7. ZenErik thread starter macrumors 6502

I like free too. Whether it's supposed to be free or is free from obtaining not-so-legally. ;)

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

thanks for recommending member, i downloaded it and i am running a test right now, seems like it takes a while? i am also not to sure how many loops i should run, i just chose 1, and the test has been on for the last 6 minutes.

9. ZenErik thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey folks. I will probably try both of them. I got my MacBook back yesterday and installed Leopard. All is well. Just waiting for the much needed RAM boost for Logic + Reason.

The estimated delivery is 1/2/08, but it should arrive before then because it's already on the way to Massachusetts from Illinois. I don't see that taking another week, but it is UPS...

10. ZenErik thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran Rember twice so far. Everything appears good. I will run it another 5 or so times while I'm at work.