Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThaQuest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I bought 2 1GB RAM chips from macsales.com to replace my factory chips. When I took the original ones out, they were in very tight (as it seems they should be) When I put the new ones in, they were very loose, and there was a bulge in the casing that holds them in. Now that I boot my computer, it only recognizes one of the RAM chips. I have tried numerous configurations, and it seems the right side slot is not working. I even tried putting the factory chips back in. Sometimes it won't boot at all. Right now, both 1GB chips are in, but only one of them is recognized. I'm afraid to try again as it may not reboot, and I've heard of others who've had this same problem.What should I do? Has anyone else had this same problem? (Specifically with the RAM chips not fitting very tightly and with the bulge)

Thanks for your help.

pungohboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
When I swapped the ram between my 2 macbooks I noticed how tight they were also. But I had read several people that had similar problems to yours and they just needed to make sure the ram was seated all the way. So when I did it I pushed very hard making sure to push straight in not at an angle or anything. If you have 1 stick working chances are the other needs to be seated better. The casing should fit on like it did with the factory chips. You also can compare the new vs old to make sure the new isnt defective formed. Good luck hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.