ram update for imac 21.5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mojobebop, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mojobebop macrumors newbie

hello,

seeking advice in purchasing ram for imac i am soon to purchase. imac 21.5; (500gm, or 1tb model).

i intend on using photoshop, (probably cs5). would like to possibly used 8gb of ram. my concern is finding the right type, & most reliable outlet/brand to purchase.

being that it comes with 4gb memory, can i then just purchase 4 gigs, (to double), etc. I believe imac has 4 slots?

also, as a side-note, is there anything i need to know/do when/after installation?
    i have never done this. used to have an old imac, (circa, 2001), but have had to use a pc since 2007.

is this something i can do myself?

is it advisable to use memory not purchased from apple. sorry for my ignorance.

thank you,
    richard
    rhandwerke123@aol.com

2. iFalcon macrumors regular

3. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

There are 4 memory slots, 2 are filled with 2GB sticks.

Ive never had an issue with crucial, kingston or corsair. But there are many other good companies that are out there.

Yes you can do it yourself, you just need a philips screwdriver, be static free, and 3 mins of time.

Don't buy RAM from Apple, they are overpriced.

Get something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231341

4. mojobebop thread starter macrumors newbie

ram

--------------
    thank you for your response. i am looking at the 1495.00 model which accepts up to 16gb.
    so the ram is as sound as those produced by apple then?

5. ascNYC macrumors member

Ram Jam

I too just took delivery of a new 21.5" i7 iMac that came with the std 4GBs of ram. At the time I ordered my iMac I also ordered an additional 8GBs of ram from Crucial. The additional ram actually came a week before my iMac. When the new Mac arrived I did power it up run through a few tests and then powered down and installed the additional 8GBs. The whole process was simple and took about 5 mins. When I powered it back up and went to "About this Mac" I was ear-to-ear to see 12GBs of total ram. My new machine flies and I was also happy to see that the ram I received from Crucial was the exact same brand that came stock with my iMac from Apple.

I wouldn't consider going a different way knowing how inexpensive and easy it was.

- Andrew

6. rideincircles macrumors newbie

Do read up on static protection on RAM installation. I installed extra RAM on my Toshiba netbook and it worked fine, until i plugged it in and it fried the motherboard. I had to send it in and they replaced it which took a little while.

The main issue is eliminating a static charge. I just bought 8gb of memory extra for my new imac that is now on it's way. I will be way more careful when installing it.

7. mojobebop thread starter macrumors newbie

ram

--------------------------
    thanks, that is 12gb. thought i read something about having to install equal amounts of ram; (meaning now you have 3 slots of ram whereas you should have 4). thought i read it is more balanced that way. am i wrong?

8. Focker macrumors member

No what he probably means is he left in the stock 2x2GB and added 2x4GB to bring his total to 12GB. This is the most affordable RAM upgrade right now based on today's RAM prices.

9. ascNYC macrumors member

Yes 2x2 and 2x4 = 12GB

Focker is correct. I left the 2x2GB chips in place and added 2x4GB chips from Crucial. Total is now 12GB in 4 slots. I figured that I'd try the 12GB to see how things went knowing that I can always upgrade the 2x2GB to 2x4GB at a later date to get me to a total of 16GB if necessary.

Considering I was coming from a 1.83 GHz Core Duo with 1GB of ram it was like getting off my Vespa and hopping into a Porsche! Couldn't be happier.

-andrew

10. mojobebop thread starter macrumors newbie

-------------------
    llittle confusing.
    what i read also is that you should use
    ram from the same manufacturer. due to different specs or whatever.

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

asked, and answered:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1180111

Its like you arent even reading your own posts -- let alone reading the other 1,000 posts in the last month about ram for 2011 iMacs. Those posts include links to ram to buy, links to ram installation, step-by-step installs, advice on how much ram to add, etc, etc, etc ... heck you even mention OWC several times and they have detailed specs and video installs right on their page.

12. mojobebop thread starter macrumors newbie

--------
    no, actually i am. i suppose some of us are not as astute as others. (meaning you). to some rudeness is a natural talent.

13. Focker macrumors member

Not true. Not sure where you heard that. As long as you buy the RAM with the correct specifications for your mac you will be fine.

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

dude, its not about being "astute".

I mean, I have read "I got XXX gigs of XXX ram from XXX and it works perfectly in my 2011 iMac!" at least a dozen times in the last few days.

Look at post #5 above.

Im not sure how any more clear that can be?

Just follow what that poster did?

let me post (again) the link I saw *several* times from yesterdays post -- pretty sure someone posted this in your other *exact* thread on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-na&Item=N82E16820231342&Tpk=N82E16820231342